Careers – Optical Research Scientist
Optical Research Scientist
CoMind is building non-invasive brain-computer interfaces focused on dramatically increasing our understanding of the brain and changing how we interact with computers.
CoMind is looking for an experienced Optical Research Scientist who has hands-on experience working with medical equipment or consumer electronics or other relevant hardware experience. You will design lenses and use optical technologies to improve brain imaging technologies. You will be working in a rapidly growing team to build technology which will change how humans interact with technology. You will also be working alongside Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Neuroscientists to create a new form of neuroimaging. You must have experience with infrared sensors and light sources and be adaptable and ready to learn
CoMind is a venture-backed start-up including some of the top investors in Europe.
Essential Functions Of The Role:
The role will offer the candidate a unique opportunity to acquire new skills and develop their own creative solutions in an experimental environment. We are looking for creative thinkers, who work well in a team, and who welcome new challenges and solve problems with a fresh and unique perspective. You never shy away from and enjoy solving difficult problems and helping others to solve difficult problems.
You should have a thorough understanding of optics and tools that enable design and simulation of optical systems using both ray optics and wave optics.
You should be able to work effectively and cooperatively with a diverse and multidisciplinary team of engineers and physicists. You should be able to effectively communicate your needs, concepts, and ideas to the rest of the team to enable them to transform these into designs and systems. You should have an entrepreneurial mindset and a very strong work ethic. You are a fast learner and adaptable to different problems even if you don’t have as much experience in that area.
You Should Apply If You Have:
- M.S. or PhD in Physics, Optical Engineering, Medical Physics or other relevant fields or experience within the industry.
- 3+ years of optical engineering experience.
- 1+ years of practical (not just research) experience designing, deploying, testing, and reliability hardening optical systems.
- Experience in scientific programming using either Matlab, Python, C++ or equivalent.
- Proof of exceptional ability in optical engineering or a similar field.
- Highly creative first principle thinker who thrives on hard problems and is a natural people person.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Experience with optical spectroscopy, optical imaging, such as microscopes and telescopes.
- 2+ years of experience using and designing optoelectronic devices.
- 1+ years of experience with Zemax and Comsol.
- Basic experience with mechanical and thermal computational modelling
- 1+ examples of patent authorship and invention disclosures.
- 1+ years of experience using avalanche photodiodes, single-photon detectors, avalanche photodiode arrays, sCMOS sensors, CCD sensors and interferometers.
- Experience in Electrical Engineering.
- Personal projects and an extensive portfolio of relevant work done in your own time.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Multiple publications in the field.
- Experience working in medical imaging with a focus on the brain or tissue imaging.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary plus stock options.
- Breakfast and snacks provided.
- An opportunity to change how humans interact with computers and the potential to save lives.
- The chance to help grow a company and its culture from the ground up.
- A promising career growth opportunity. We would much rather promote people who have exceeded expectations in their current role rather than hire new people.
Don't see a role which matches your skill set? Get in touch.
The future of non-invasive neural interfaces.
To learn more about how we are leading the next cognitive and computing revolution, get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.