Careers – Senior Optical Engineer
Senior Optical Engineer
CoMind is building non-invasive brain-computer interfaces focused on dramatically increasing our understanding of the brain and changing how we interact with computers.
CoMind is looking for an experienced optical engineer, who has extensive hands-on experience designing and developing medical or consumer products. You will work in a multidisciplinary team, designing high-performance optical systems which interact with state-of-the-art electronics, to improve brain imaging technology. You will be working in a rapidly growing team to push the current BCI technology to the next level, which will change how humans interact with the brain. You will also be working alongside software engineers, electronics engineers, mechanical engineers, data scientists, and neuroscientists to create a new form of neuroimaging. You must have a good understanding of knowledge of optical engineering science and practice.
CoMind is a venture-backed start-up including some of the top investors in Europe and Silicon Valley.
Essential Functions Of The Role:
The role will offer the candidate a unique opportunity to acquire new skills and develop their creative solutions in an experimental environment. We are looking for creative thinkers, who work well in a team, and who welcome new challenges and solve problems with a fresh and unique perspective. You never shy away from and enjoy solving complicated problems and helping others to solve difficult problems.
You should have a thorough, in-depth understanding of highly technical concepts and principles, and also Interact with cross-functional teams to understand design and business constraints.
You should be able to work effectively and cooperatively with a diverse and multidisciplinary team of engineers and researchers. You should be able to effectively communicate your needs, concepts, and ideas to the rest of the team to enable them to transform these into designs and systems. You should have an entrepreneurial mindset and a strong work ethic. You are a fast learner and adaptable to different problems even if you don’t have as much experience in that area.
You Should Apply If You Have:
- Bachelor or Master degree (2:1 or higher) in optical engineering, medical imaging, biomedical engineering, or other relevant fields.
- 5 years of hands-on industry experience (or equivalent) in optical design and engineering.
- 5 years of industry hands-on experience (or equivalent) in mechanical design and development.
- Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation using solid engineering principles and adhering to business standards and product requirements.
- Proven experiences working on IR lasers.
- Good working experience in optics-related programming using either Matlab, Python, C++ or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge on optical safety compliance, e.g. IEC 60825-1.
Experience in the full product development cycle.
- Knowledge of electronic interfacing and electro-optic modelling.
- Good awareness on product performance, reliability, and cost expectations, and ensure these are met within the planned timeline of the project.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Extensive medical industry experience, especially in the medical imaging field.
- Experience with interferometers, optical test & alignment equipment, and metrology methods.
- Familiar with optical driving circuitry and optical detection technology.
- Proven ability to perform complex engineering analyses resulting in thorough and complete documentation.
- Ability to work effectively within a highly collaborative environment.
- A solid grasp of engineering and fundamental physics to understand the broader design and development considerations of complex instrumentation.
- Good understanding of designing for manufacture.
- Personal projects and an extensive portfolio of relevant work done in your own time.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Experience managing equipment and projects, including specification development, supplier selection, technical reviews, and tooling installation.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary plus stock options.
- Breakfast and snacks provided.
- An opportunity to change how humans interact with computers and the potential to save lives.
- The chance to help grow a company and its culture from the ground up.
- A promising career growth opportunity. We would much rather promote people who have exceeded expectations in their current role rather than hire new people.
Don't see a role which matches your skill set? Get in touch.
The future of non-invasive neural interfaces.
To learn more about how we are leading the next cognitive and computing revolution, get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.